Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Downton Abbey & Literary Heroines

Over the past week or so, I have become slightly infatuated with the mini-series Downton Abbey.   For those of you that already know and love Downton, I’m sure you are beyond excited to read this blog post.  For those of you that haven’t yet watched, stop reading, go to pbs.org, and watch this show.  Then come back and read my post. J

Downton Abbey centers around a family, the Crawleys, in early 20th century England.  The family includes the Earl of Grantham, his wife, and their three daughters.  When the family's heir dies with the Titanic, the entire family is pulled into chaos to find a new heir.  Eventually a distant relative from Manchester, Matthew Crawley, is found to be the new heir.  The show then continues in following the Crawley family, their household staff, and the people around them for the years ahead.
It is no surprise that my favorite character is the oldest daughter, Mary Crawley.  Mary is independent, stubborn, and a little rebellious.  But when it comes down to it, she is fiercely loyal, takes care of those she loves, and isn’t afraid to stand up for what she believes in.

Despite that fact that I can’t consider Mary Crawley a literary character (even though Downton Abbey is on PBS- that must count for something), she reminds me of my two very favorite literary heroines: Scarlett O’Hara and Emma Woodhouse. 
Scarlett has always been my favorite, since I read Gone with the Wind years ago.  I was recently reminded of how much I love Scarlett when we watched GWTW a few weeks ago for our girls movie night. Everyone wants to hate Scarlett.  She is selfish, cunning, and doesn’t let anything get in the way of what she wants.  Scarlett is the complete opposite of the meek and mild Melanie Wilkes.  However, the movie doesn’t portray the complexity of Scarlett’s character.  That her strong, stubborn front hides her desperate desire to be good, gentle and kind, just like her mother.  Despite her inner desires, Scarlett cheats, lies, steals and even kills to save her family and her family’s land.

My other favorite heroine is Jane Austen’s Emma Woodhouse.  I think Jane and I would have gotten along quite well, as she wanted to make Emma a heroine “whom no one but myself will much like.”  Emma is headstrong, spoiled, and impatient.  She constantly acts without thinking about the impact her actions will have on others.  However, despite not thinking through her actions, everything she does is meant to help her friends, family, and those she loves.

I see a theme in all these characters and really, I wish I could be friends with  each  of them.  Each of these characters wants to be respectful, kind and generally a good person.  But each of these heroines make mistakes.  Big mistakes.  Mistakes that stay with them throughout their lives. Fortunately, in Emma’s case, when she falls in love with her best friend they end up happily ever after.  Sadly, the opposite holds true for Scarlett.  
Despite not liking Mary’s character during most of the first season of Downton, my tune has changed.  Mary Crawley reminds me of a mix of Scarlett, Emma, Elizabeth Bennett, and Josephine March.  Mary’s story hasn’t played out yet, but I’m hopeful.  Needless to say, I’m cheering for you Mary Crawley!

No comments:

Post a Comment