Monday, February 20, 2012

DC Adventures

So last weekend (now technically two weekends ago) I went to DC for what has become a bimonthly tradition.  There were multiple reasons for this trip.  Of course, I was able to see most everyone in dc that I love.  It helped that I would be able to celebrate Emily’s 26th birthday with her, a tradition I didn’t want to miss. The weekend was made even better as it was the first time that Catie, Mary Tanner & I had been together in dc for an entire weekend since 2009.  So this was LONG overdue.

And as expected, we had a blast.  It made coming back to reality quite difficult.

Friday when we got into the district, Catie and I went to our old King & Spalding stomping grounds and had lunch at Breadline.  I’m glad some things never change.  After getting ourselves ready for the evening, we did the usual happy hour and dinner with the crew.  Trying to make the most of our dc reunion, Catie, MT and I met up with more friends and just had a fun night out.



Saturday we stayed busy despite the chill.  We had brunch at founding farmers (my favorite restaurant in dc!), shopped at eastern market,  went to the new(ish) Serendipity in Georgetown, and curled up to watch downton abbey.  Once we got ourselves moving again, all old roommates were reunited and we had dinner at Sushiko in Glover Park then headed to Policy to celebrate Emily’s birthday with the crew.  Policy is one of my favorite bars in dc and didn’t disappoint.


Sunday was my one day of winter this year and freezing.  So we went to brunch in the neighborhood and promptly came home and watched back to back movies.  Yes, we are really cool.  Then it was time to get in a few last dc goodbyes and head back to nc.

This was my third trip back to dc since I moved and it was definitely the hardest to leave this time.  For the first few days when I was back in Raleigh, I started thinking about moving back to dc after finishing grad school, even looking up some housing options on craigslist (one of my favorite pastimes).  But then as I settled back into life here, living in Raleigh seemed so normal and easy.

Sometimes it overwhelms me that I feel like I am constantly caught between two worlds.  When I start to think about where I want to be and what I want to do after grad school, the decisions keep piling up.  But it seems so silly to stress about those things.  So I have decided to change my attitude.  Instead of worrying about picking dc or nc in a year in a half when my MPA is done, I’m just going to feel blessed that I have two places to call home.  I'll let yall know how it goes. 

1 comment:

  1. two places and hundreds of friends :) we love you, hales. even though we don't love downTOWN abby. ;)

    ReplyDelete