Monday, January 23, 2012

here we go....

So after weeks of contemplating this, I’m actually getting my act together and starting a blog. After being inspired by three of my best friends (Caroline, Chelsea and Alaina- I’m talking to yall), I decided to join the blogging world. While I’m not promising anything incredibly interesting or insightful, I’m excited to improve my writing, get my thoughts out, and maybe even find out some new things about myself. I’m hoping my posts will somehow document lessons I’ve learned, things I love, and let’s be honest, lessons I’m still learning.

For anyone that doesn’t know my life story already, here it is. My name is Lauren. Very few people actually call me by my first name. I grew up in Wake Forest, North Carolina and lived there until my high school graduation. I then made my way over to Winston-Salem and spent four fantastic years at Wake Forest University. Leaving Wake on May 19, 2008 was a sad day.


About a month later, I moved to DC. I’m still not sure why I picked this city over Charlotte, Atlanta, Charleston and all the other places in the Southeast I was considering after graduation. Believe it or not, I received my job offer to move to DC in the midst of senior year post exams with the entire graduating class of 2008. And then I did it.

Moving to DC and knowing only two people in the entire city was one of the most frightening and most rewarding decisions I have ever made. I lived in the city for three years, making wonderful friends, exploring city life, and learning more about the person I wanted to be. Like many District residents, I started to get the grad school itch and moved back to Raleigh, NC in August 2011 to start the MPA program at NC State University. 

I can’t count the number of books that I have read about small town girls moving to the city. But there seems to be a shortage of stories about what happens with the newly formed city girl moves back…and that’s where my story starts.

No comments:

Post a Comment